Thursday, March 09, 2006

updates and prayers for a family...

Just a note to say I am leaving for malawi tomorrow…malawi is a small, landlocked country that borders South Afirca. It is rumored to have the most beautiful and friendly people in all of Africa…
It is about a 2 hour flight from Johannesburg for me. I am going there to assess the project, and to help with computer training for the volunteers, and to look into possible income generation programs for the future. If you are the praying type, please pray for safety as we travel, and that I can go in totally open and vulnerable and available to what God has for me there. The situation is supposed to be quite desparate – the country has a 33% infection rate and over 10% of the population is made up of orphaned children.
The woman I am going to work with is one of the coolest cats I have ever known. She is a Malawian chief, which is incredibly rare, and she is passionate about the rights of the African woman, and about protecting the rights of children. She works tirelessly to advocate for the girls in her small rural communities to receive free schooling and to be protected from situations of sexual abuse and violence.
In terms of the programs in South Africa, things are going well and I am learning a lot. We just received funds from the US government to provide schooling for 200 orphaned girls in the Masoyi community. I have been given the role of project manager, which is a bit daunting, but exciting….there is an incredible need for these young orphaned girls to stay in school, and to have supplies and mentoring to help them learn how to live life! We were able to select 2 volunteers from the community who are going to work alongside of me for the remainder of this year, and then if I leave in October, they will be able to stand alone and run the projects so the funds and the benefits can continue to come.
Another need for prayer comes from a family that I knew last summer while working in Uganda. If any of you spoke to me about my work last summer, you probably heard about joyce. She was my friend, a beautiful woman with a big smile and a deep love for the colour yellow. I was working in a fishing village outside of katebo, Uganda, with a support groups for HIV/AIDS widows, and she and I would sit together at the back of the meetings weaving baskets and learning to count to 10. I was awful at the local language, lugandan.
But back to the prayer needs….joyce is the 6th of 7 children in her family. 5 have already died of AIDS, leaving 16 orphans in the care of her brother Godfrey, herself and her mother susan. Godfrey was able to go to school this last year, and joyce left the village to work in kampala, the large city nearby. Susan has been on her own, caring for 16 orphans from the age 17 to 6 monthes. This past week, susan passed away, which means that these kids have been on their own. They are beautiful. The oldest, damian, has deep brown eyes that mirror the pain in his life..his younger brother eric is lighter skinned, with this incredible smile and hope. When I visited their home last summer, these two boys would go to school from 6 am until 2 pm, and then they would work digging ditches to make money for their family for 6 hours, return home, sleep, wake at 4 am to do homework, and begin the whole cycle again…
So please pray for the family. I don’t get very clear messages from Godfrey, who I am still in touch with because of the language barrier, but I know the family is in trouble.
May God bless you all…much love. I will write you more when I return from Malawi.
Grace and peace,
maeghan

7 Comments:

Blogger sky juliet said...

Maegs-

I love you sweetie and I am so proud of your faith in our God. I can only imagine the changes He has made in your life. Remember with His grace you will one day see the people you have affected in your life. I continue to pray for you and the work you are doing in Africa. Stay strong in your faith and remember even though there is a physical language barrier the words of Christ are understood by all. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the people in Africa. It is hard to place faces with places and a type of lived there without amazing real life stories. I love you and I miss you tons. God Bless you and your work. Rebecca

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am in awe of how you've grown. love and strength from all in s.d.
mike

9:03 AM  
Blogger Jasy said...

miss maeghan --
this wednesday i'm doing the freethechildren 24hrs of silence thing to raise money for clean water in motony, kenya

so naturally, i thought of you.

missu, praying for you. hope you're doing well =)

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey maeg

you're still inspiring me across the planet - your joy and sorrow radiates from something deeper and real and it makes me want to change myself and the world. still snow here and very cold - hope your enjoying the warm. love and blessings - will pray for you and your people -- you're doing great
chris d.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey meaghan,
wow, it is truly amazing to see how GOd is using you as His faithful servant. i am praying for you, keep soldiering on in our Father's battle. thank you for taking the time to share how God is moving in S.Africa, what an incredible perspective when we look outside our own situations. Love and prayers to you.
Andrea

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Maeg,

It's been a little while. ;) As always, you continue to inspire... your stories from the South are truly eye-opening.

Wishing you all the best on your trip to Malawi.

jon

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Meaghan, I just e-mailed my grand daughter, Rebecca Lynde and then looked at her blog. I was disappointed that she has not added to it, but I imagine time is limited. I therefore decided to check your blog. It has been some time. There was much I had not read. It is all so sad, yet interesting. It certainly reminds a person to never complain. I pray every day for all our young people in the mission, peace corps and the military. God will bless you all. It is hard to understand why there is so many with so much and so many with so little. Back here in the states you fill inadequate as to what you should do. Sending $20.00 seems so trivial but I know every bit helps. Will continue to pray for you and others.
Vivian Lynde (Rebecca's grandma)

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home